Hobson is about half way along Conrail's West Virginia Secondary. This line starts at Columbus Ohio and runs southeast to Charleston W.Va. Hobson serves as a Helper Base and crew change location. The North end of Hobson is CP ( control point ) Wine and the South end is CP King.
This line was NYC except for the track between Hobson and Kanauga that was originally C&O owned. This section was once known for it's unusual train orders. Due to the geography a Eastbound NYC train and a Westbound C&O train would both be headed down river !
My Oldest Photos
* Looking North at the Hobson Yard Office - Dec. 1976
Today Conrail calls the location 300 yards North of here KING.
* in this Feb. 1983 photo the Operator's shack had just been torn down and Conrail hasn't
relocated the KING marker to where it is today. Also notice where the switch use to
be for the C&O track once splitting off into Pomeroy ( see note for Kanauga ).
* rare C39-8 #6004 ( proposed NS 8202 ) seen at King - March 24, 1989
Photos from Dec. 3, 1989
* Train CODI-3 are on the right , a Work train in the center, and stored cars on the left
* a closer view of the Work Train's engine #8150, a GP38-2
* Train CODI-3 Stopped at "King" ( Southeast end of Hobson )
a close-up of the 3rd. unit a GP38-2 #8166
* two SD50 Helper units #6730 & 6743 set outside the Crew Quarters, awaiting call to duty
Photos from Dec.10,
* Eastbound Train XDI-75 gives up 3 of 5 units ( the GM-EMD units ) for
Helper & work train duty
* a Contractor tends to the crew's water & ice ( note rare C39-8 #6010, 1 of 22 on Conrail )
* crewmen breakup the units before a second crew will take Train XDI-75 South into W.Va.
* looking South as the Contractor waits for XDI-75's GE power to pass
* unit #8137 is a GP38-2 and replaces the Work Train's power; Helper #6802 is a SD50 .
Photos from Jan. 6,
* looking South at KING as Southeast bound Train CODI-6 ( Columbus - Dickinson )
meets its Northwest bound counter part, Train DINE ( Dickinson - Indianapolis )
* Train CODI-6 with #6593, 1 of 50 Conrail C30-7A ( #6550-6599 )
* Train DIIN-6 exchanges crewmen, before proceeding Northwest
* DIIN-6 's headend power #6044 & 6832 leave the yard
* the sun begins to set as DIIN's Helpers leave the Yard to couple to the train's rear
* view of an old railroad structure located South of the Crew Quarters ( the original Station ???)
Photos from April 29,1990
* Southbound waits at King until tomorrow; note rare C39-8 #6018 ( proposed CSX 7487 )
and SW9M switcher #8922 that's returning from being shopped.