Parkersburg W.Va.

Two  lines of the former B&O  railroad cross at Parkersburg West Virginia.  The remains of the East /West line (Washington D.C.  to  St. Louis) crosses the Ohio River at Belpre Ohio and enter the "High Yard".   The other B&O line is the relatively active North/ South line from Huntington to  the  Benwood Jct. area (?) that enters Parkersburg's  "Low Yard".

page revised  Jan. 29, 2001
  click photo for
.                Art Markley's  1950+ Parkersburg Photos

.
.
  Low Yard & High Yard  Towers
  *  old  SX  Tower  ( now gone ) in  the  "Low Yard"  -  July 7, 1982
  *  OB  Tower  ( actually one story tall ) in the  "High Yard" - Feb. 13, 1982
               the  Board  inside -  April 25,1982
               the  Operator's  Desk  during  shift change
.
.
  Photos from  Feb. thru  April 1983
            *  WM #3797  is  seen  in   red & white  paint.    1 of  5   WM  GP40s
                    absorbed  by Chessie
            *  Additional  power is added to WM 3797  for the trip West
            *  a   local  train  is seen coming off of the  Ohio River bridge,  and later
                crossing the street by  OB  Tower
            *  GP40  B&O 4005  is still in blue paint as it sets at the Servicing area,
                   near the Roundhouse
            *  B&O  4428  is a  GP40-2
            *  this  GP30 was one of 48 delivered in 1963 ( 3000-3047 ). C&O 3028  is seen at
                    the Yard's East end
            *  B&O 3764  was the last of the 25  GP40s  received in 1970
            *  this  GP40  C&O 4098  was  1 of  35 ( 4065-4099 ) received in 1971
            *  C&O 4393  was  1 of  50  GP40-2  received in 1980
            *  looking  East,  with the photographer's back to the Roundhouse,
                     is an all  CS yellow  lineup
            *  a 1957  SW1200  B&O9618,  a  GP40  B&O4016,  and  two
                     GP40-2  C&O 4372 and 4271
            *  looking North across the Roundhouse Turntable at  Safety Caboose C-903000
            *  looking North near the middle of the  "High Yard"  at an  Inspection Pit
            *  B&O 9619  is an  SW1200  switcher
            *  this  GP40-2  WM 4360  was one of  20 built in 1979  ( 4352-4371 )
            *  GP38  B&O 4805  is seen in its blue paint
            *  a Westbound  prepares to depart the High yard  as  switcher
                     B&O 9619  shuffles cars nearby
            *  the above mentioned Westbound has  GP30M  B&O 6950  in the consist.
                     This unit was original built in 1962  and was  "Modified"
                     ( rebuilt - mostly electrical )  in 1981 .   After the CSX  merger the remaining
                     GP30  were not  modified  but simply  turned  into  motorless  slugs.
.
.
March 7, 1987 Photos
       * near the Roundhouse,  several units set at the Sanding Tower for servicing
       * among these units are C&O GP30 #3043, C&O GP38 #3898,
           SBD GP40 #6688  in black paint,  B&O GP40-2 #4235
       * nearby is  B&O GP40 #4055  and  SBD GP38-2 #2654
       * down is the "Low Yard"  is C&O GP30 #3038  setting with an
            older steam era cabose #902877 ( built May 1955)  and
            baywindow cabose #903011 ( built Jan.1966)
.
.
  F-Units on NRHS Charter  - Oct.21,1990
       *  FP7 CSX #118  ( ex-CRR#200 )   looking North  beside where SX Tower once was
       *  F7B  CSX #119  is  ex-CRR #250  also  seen  in  the  "Low Yard"
.
.
  Photos from Nov. 12, 1990
       *  looking  North  at  old  cabooses  in the  High Yard
       *  D&H  #7418  is a very rare GP39-2  and was absorbed by CSX  becoming #4318
       *  GP40  #6807  was once  L&N 3011